Sunday, April 10, 2011

A pretty full Saturday

Saturday was one of those full days that we love! Just as long as there aren't too many of them in a row! :) I woke up a little before 6am on Saturday, had 2 short cups of coffee, read my daily reading from the Bible and then headed out the door around 6:50am. I love getting up early on Saturdays to spend some time with my God. There is a running group in St. Joseph that has been getting together on Saturdays to run 4-6 miles and the normally start at 8am, but this day they started at 7am and were planning to to 4 miles on some trails. Well, I had already signed up for a "Run for the Orphans 5K" in St. Joseph and it was suppose to start at 8:30am, but the start time was moved up to 8am. I thought, "Hey, I might be able to both the trail run and the 5k." Becky thought I was crazy but agreed to "help" me do both. I had a blast running the muddy dirt trails with the group, but I underestimated how long it would take the group to run. We did pretty close to 10 minute pace on the hilly terrain, but I was watching the time. I had arranged for Becky and the kids to pick me up a 7:40am to take me to the 5K race start and she had already been to the start to get my race number. Due to the slow pace of the running pack, I had to sprint the last mile and made it to the van (Becky and the kids) around 7:45am. We had 15 minutes to make it across town before the 5K would start. As Becky drove, I changed out of my muddy shoes and socks, put on my race number, and put on a fresh shirt. We made it just in time for me to hit the porta potty, run to the starting line, take a deep breath, then the race started. The picture above is me beating a fellow "running CPA" who happens to be younger than me and works for one of the competitors in town. I was pretty please with my time of 21:28, but according to my GPS watch the course was at least a tenth of a mile short. :) Here is my cheering squad! I love them! After a quick chat with some fellow runners, Becky took me to my truck where it was still parked from the trail run. I drove home, took a quick shower, had breakfast and another cup of coffee. Becky made my eggs and coffee! She hardly ever makes coffe for me so it was a real treat! I rushed out the door to a 9:30am monthly deacon meeting at church. The meeting got over earlier than normal so I drove home and jumped in the van with Becky and the kids. We headed back to church where Haley's Upward basketball team had a noon game. Becky and I are the coaches and the girls played great. We don't keep score, but they have improved so much over the last few weeks. Becky and I think they are really starting the "get it." Haley made a basket! This week she and I worked at home quitea a bit on dribbling to the basket and shooting.

After the basketball game we drove to Union Station in Kansas City. With the race number from the half marathon I did last Saturday, we got in free to Science City. We spent about an hour and a half there and the kids could have spent another hour there....what fun!


Haley's height and weight.


Anybody think Torren will grow to be 6'4"? I hope so!


Becky took a bunch of pictures from our visit and these are just a few.


After we left Science City, we drove Olathe, Kansas. Becky's friend, Meagan, had invited us over for dinner and to pick up a ton of "baby stuff." Casey grilled some delicious pork loin and asparagus. We had a great time visiting with Meagan, Casey, and family. What a blessing to us from them to give us a bunch of thier bouncers, clothes, etc.!


We drove home and the kids were in bed by 8:45pm....quite a bit later than normal. Becky and I worked on the lesson for Sunday's Connection time at church, vegged on the couch, then headed to bed....what a long fun filled day!


Here are the kids in their Hawaii shirts....thanks Grandma and Grandpa!


Pretty soon I will need to mow this yard.....and it begins. I am looking forward to summer!

No comments: