Wednesday, August 03, 2011

I met Eminem today!



Today was a quite unusual day. The craziness started when Becky called at 2pm to let me know we had lost power at the house. I began to worry about her and our little hot bodied 5 week old boy. After work, I hustled home to help Becky pack up the food from our deep freeze to take to a friend's house. After getting Becky and Kane on their way to a cooler house, I started mowing the yard.


I finished the front yard and decided to take a break to drink some fluids and check my phone for messages. While walking around my truck I noticed a strange vehicle on our street. The mid-sized silver SUV had several people walking around it and they were just kind of "hanging out." I guess I must be turning into the old grumpy neighbor because I walked over to the vehicle in my old nasty mowing shoes, long shorts, long socks, shirtless, grass sticking to me everywhere and asked, "Hows it going? What are you guys up to? Can I help you find someone?" It looked like they were looking for someone or something.


There was one female in the group of six and she said, "No, a friend of ours used to live here." She pointed to the apartment across the street from our house. I asked her, "Was it Clinton or Andrea?" and began to list off the neighbors we have had over the years." She said, "No, it was a long time ago." Out of nowhere (he may have been in the SUV) came a skinny white guy with his hat pulled over his eyes. He says, "I used to live here when I was 5 or 6 years old." I said, "Oh! Hello Mr. Mathers."


I was a little bit "star-struck" and surprised to see Marshall Mathers (Eminem) on our street. We had a nice chat. He said he was in the area for a show in Kansas City on Friday. I knew that Eminem had lived in St. Joseph, but I didn't know he lived in the duplex across the street! I guess we do live in the hood! Eminem complained a little that the "Taco Bandido" was closed. I told him it was probably because of the power outage.


As I left Eminem's posse/entourage saying "I'll let you guys continue with the reminiscing, Eminem asked me my name. I told him, "Matt Johnson" and he proceeded to give me a "thug-hug." (I now think it was really strange seeing how I was shirtless and sweaty and grassy from mowing.) I turned to walk away and it seemed that quickly the vehicle was gone. As I went to talk to my neighbor who was outside on his driveway, our electricity came on! My neighbor said he noticed the strange vehicle and confirmed that Eminem did live in the duplex as a child. A friend confirmed that Eminem does have a concert in the Kansas City area this weekend.


Wow! The real Slim Shady! On my street! Oh yeah, just so you know....I finished my mowing....back to reality. Too funny! :)

No comments: