I won't soon forget our Saturday in the Black Hills. We had a great breakfast of biscuits and gravy from Jimbo and Ann. Check out the size of that pan....many a wonderful meal was cooked on that pan during our trip. The horsemen (and women) were getting the horses ready for our first big ride. The kids, including Torren, were playing on and around a big rock that they had been playing on and around the night before. Torren asked me if I would lift him up onto the rock so I did just like I had done the night before. He and Brady were playing on top of the rock and I had just sat down at a nearby picnic table to try to trim up a couple hang nails when I heard a scream. Quickly Becky and others had gathered around Torren. When I approached Becky said immediately that his arm was broke. Someone (Jimbo?) made Torren an awesome sling and splint out of a paper plate and handkerchief. Becky told me to bring the van around and I did. We got some instructions from the camp host, but ended up following a park ranger all the way to the Custer Hospital ER. The camp host's wife called ahead so they knew we were coming and we received some great care from the staff. They gave Torren two shots of morphine before manipulating his two broken bones back into place and that made him feel quite a bit better. He was smacking his tongue in his mouth while we were being cleared to leave. The splint didn't slow him down too much, but he was in quite a bit of pain those first couple of days.
Saturday night we put the kids to bed on time. Becky and I headed out for a ride with two others while Jenny watched over our tent. We saw a huge bull elk only about 75 feet away and a deer on the other side of us about 40 feet away....what awesome animals!
No comments:
Post a Comment