After

Before
Recently I have gotten quite a few questions from friends and family asking, “How did you lose all this weight?” Most of the time it seems like they want a short or quick answer to the question, but for me it takes some considerable explanation. I’ll try to give a brief testimonial of my journey thus far.
On December 1, 2009 I weighed 250 pounds and today I tipped the scales at 169 pounds so essentially I have lost over 80 pounds in less than 5 months! It took a huge commitment to complete this enormous task, but I owe an even bigger “Thank You” to my wife, Becky, for helping thru this process. She has been constantly encouraging and assisting me in this massive life change.
I started on the Medifast program and began exercising much more regularly and consistently that first day in December. My exercise routine consisted of 3 days of running, 2-3 days of lifting weights, stretching, core strengthening, and an occasional pool swim.
So what is Medifast you ask? Medifast is a publicly held company that sells you portion controlled meal replacements and provides you with the support and knowledge to lose weight and transition to a healthy lifestyle. The Medifast “5&1” program has you eating every 2-3 hours and you get to eat 5 Medifast meals and 1 “Lean and Green” meal. There are certain guidelines for these meals and your health coach, provided for free with the purchase of food, is there to help you thru the process.
Here are a couple answers to some questions. If you have other questions please feel free to ask me as I have seen some great success with this program and love talking about it.
What were your motivations for losing weight?
I was motivated to lose weight for many reasons: to be healthier, to be more mobile, to have improved self-esteem and to have more energy. The apostle Paul writes, “…your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit,” (1 Cor. 6:19) and I had a desire that my body to reflect my faith. I have struggled with “weight” issues my whole life and when I was lighter I always “felt” better overall. I was also motivated to be healthy because I wanted to be able to be active with my young children (3 and 6 years old).
How did being overweight impact your personal life? Social Life? Work Life?
I can remember having to buy “husky” jeans as a child and feeling less of a human being because I didn’t fit in “regular” clothes. I have always felt my weight has limited my personal, social, and work life. Being overweight has limited my outdoor activities, such as swimming, golf, camping, and other recreational sports that I would otherwise enjoy. Since the weight loss, I felt an increased confidence level that is difficult to describe, but it has enabled me to be bold, speak my opinion at work more openly, and try new things.
Did you have any medical problems (which had been diagnosed by a doctor) associated with your weight?
Primarily due to my excess weight, I injured my back in a church softball game during the summer of 2006. When my son was born in December 2006, I had ballooned up to nearly 300 pounds which attributed to even lower activity levels. The healing process took longer due to my weight. I did lose some weight after my back was feeling better, but I continued to yo-yo around 245 pounds, but never to an ideal weight for me.
Have you tried other diets and were they successful? If not, why didn’t they work for you?
Over the years I have tried many different diets and I have had a hard time staying “on-track” due to the lack of structure. I tried low carbohydrate diets, low fat diets, Slim-fast diet, and “God’s diet” where you only eat whole foods, but none seemed to stick. I found myself “cheating” because “I deserved it” and I would quickly give up. I have been running for most of my adult life, but even running and training for marathons didn’t help me lose the weight. The structure I found inside the Medifast system was one of the primary reasons I found such great success. As an accountant, I am a bit of a nerd and I love structure!
How did you learn about Medifast and what prompted you to try the program?
I was introduced to Medifast by an old (but good) friend of mine, Todd Schemper. He and I used to hang out when we both lived in Sioux City, Iowa. I have always admired Todd’s fitness level and his integrity. I was prompted to try the program because I trusted his recommendation. I also attended a webinar online to gather more information about Medifast.
Todd is a health coach with Medifast and he really cares about his clients becoming healthy. He would love to assist others with achieving a healthy life. Here is his contact info: Todd Schemper, PT, DPT https://www.myofficeinmotion.com/esuite/home/todds 515-309-4709 todds@worksystemspc.com
How long were you on the Medifast program before you began to see results?
I was on the Medifast program one week and saw the immediate results of a 15 pound weight loss. It was so encouraging!!! The rapid weight loss and results that I saw week after week made it easier to stick to the plan. I was constantly losing inches and pounds! My wardrobe fit better almost immediately and then after a month of being on the Medifast program I needed to start shopping for new clothes in smaller sizes. Eventually, I needed to buy new running shoes because my feet shrunk in width!
How have your family and friends responded to your weight loss? What do they say? Have your relationships changed in any way?
Almost all of my family and friends have responded positively to my weight loss. Some say, “You look great!” and others say “I think you are too skinny now,” but I think that they just aren’t used to seeing a 170 pound Matt Johnson.
Have you had any specific health improvements resulting from weight lost on the Medifast program?
I sleep better sometimes waking up without an alarm or before my alarm goes off. I have more energy. Any minor back pain I had before my weight loss is now non-existent.
As a result of losing weight on the Medifast program, what are you able to do now that you weren’t able to do before?
I can touch my toes!!! Previously, I could barely reach past my knees. I can comfortably cross my legs when sitting in a chair. Previously, I would never take off my shirt in public unless completely necessary. Now I wouldn’t hesitate. I am going to run a half marathon (13.1 miles) on Sunday May 2, 2010. I have run half marathons before, but now I will be able to run them faster and without entering the Clydesdale (over 200 pound) division. Now I might even “look” like a runner.
1 comment:
Thanks for posting the pictures and q&a's. You look great!!! Nice work Matt (& Becky). Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment